The release of the new set “The Underworld of Secrets” comes with a new update of the banned list and the combination banned list!
For the last three months, we have been gathering data from events from all over the world. We have seen a lot of different rulers and a lot of different strategies, which makes us glad.
But we have also seen a few cards being played in a different way that they were designed to, so we are doing minor adjustments to the format. This time, we are also releasing cards from the banned list and the combination banned list in order to give the older rulers new tools to compete against the new ones. We will keep updating the banned list and the combination banned list making them better. Thanks for your understanding.
Also, some of you have asked in social media to explain not only the new banned or no longer banned cards, but to also explain the combination banned list choices. From now on, we will also do short explanations about why are doing those combinations!
Let’s see what brings up this new update!
Effective date: 25/11/2022
No longer Banned
o Forest Meditation (SDVE4-005)
o Kaguya, Sealed God of the Moon (DBV-095)
o The Origin of the Seven Lands (PofA-112)
o Warhorse (HSD-004, NWE-011)
No longer in the Combination Banned List
o Rewriting Laws (TTW-064) + Melfee, Traveling Sorceress (ROL-017)
o Faerur's Spell (ACN-096) + Setting the Stage for Providence (GRL-034)
o Guinevere, Space-Time Watcher (GRL-030) + Unity of the Machine Knights (GRL-038)
o The Origin of the Seven Lands (PofA-112) + Eins (NWE-090)
o Gherta, the Tear of Passion (MPR-094) + Ki Lua, Fossil Girl of Melted Ice (TUS-070)
o Mariabella, Sincere Engineer // Heart-to-Heart Talk (ROL-013) + Hyde, Solitary Assassin (TUS-068)
o Back to Nature (GRL-039) + Painter Gears (TUS-097)
o Spirit of Decay (GRV-060) + Asuka (HSD-020) & Asuka, Gravekeeper of Tsukuyomi (NWE-058)
o Child of the Light Moon (NWE-003) + Child of the Fire Moon (NWE-013)
o Squirrel of Solari (NWE-045) + Reconnaissance Gears (TUS-098)
o Engineer of Eternal (NWE-063) + Falchion, Solitary Scientist (NWE-066)
This is how the Combination Banned List and the Banned List look like: (as of November 25th, 2022)
Wanderer Banned List
1. Change the World, Orb of Illusion (TTW-006)
2. Interdimensional Vessel, Apollo (TMS-094)
3. Laevateinn, the Demon Sword (TTW-099)
4. Warhorse (HSD-004)
5. Milest // Milest (MSW-026)
6. Sudden Manifestation of Power (GOG-031)
7. Alecto, Unstoppable Fury (TST-024)
8. Captain Hook, the Pirate (CFC-037, L3 - BB)
9. The Cheshire Cat's Assistance (ENW-049)
10. Umr-at-Tawil (ENW-051)
11. Fiethsing // Fiethsing (MSW-053)
12. Gretel (CMF-069)
13. Law of Silence (CMF-071, VIN001-054)
14. Lykeion, the Magic Academy (EDL-062)
15. Magic Beanstalk (MSW-056)
16. Magical Dragon (EDL-064)
17. Otherworld Dreams (ADK-106)
18. Severing Winds (ENW-063)
19. Speaker of Eternal Night / Scheherazade of the Catastrophic Nights (TWS-109)
20. True Blade of Spirits (ADK-113)
21. Wall of Wind (TMS-064) (WL005)
22. Demonic Dead (ENW-074)
23. Echidna, Mechanized Monster (GRV-051)
24. Invitation to Purgatory (DBV-079)
25. Sacrificial Altar (AOA-100)
26. Vergilius, Rebel Against Satan (TST-063)
27. Belial // Belial (TST-073)
28. Carlina // Carlina (TST-075)
29. Sigurd, the Covenant King (AO3-082)
30. The Origin of the Seven Lands (PofA-112)
31. The Magic Stone of the Six Sages (MSW-102)
32. The One Magic Stone (GRV-089)
Wanderer Combination Banned List
1. Whisper from the Abyss (TAT-090) + Inferno (TST-086)
2. Whisper from the Abyss (TAT-090) + Typhon, the Infinite Monster // Order of Infinity (GRV-085)
3. Gherta, the Tear of Passion (MPR-094) + Ki Lua, Fossil Girl of Melted Ice (TUS-070)
4. Magic Stone of Moon Shade (MPR-100) + Sealed One-eyed Dragon (NWE-079)
5. Excalibur, the God's Sword (TTW-097) + Ayu, Multidimensional Wanderer (GRL-006)
6. Laurite, Seven Luminaries Astrologian (TSW-094) + Persephone, the Eleventh Olympian (GRV-082)
7. Null Magic Stone (TSW-149) + Zhuge Liang, Perfect Strategist (GRV-026)
8. Mikage Reiya (AO3-046) + The Final Stance (POFA-111)
9. Mikage Reiya (AO3-046) + Zombie Returning from the Paramita of the Dead (NWE-086)
10. Wind Servant of Ragnarok (EDL-076) + Ragnarok, Invading Dragon Lord (EDL-096)
11. Welser, the Progenitor of Magic (EDL-074) + Pricia, Seeker of Friends // Pricia's Big Show (ROL-018)
12. Almerius // Almerius (MSW-002) + Moojdart // Moojdart (MSW-042)
13. Mariabella, Sincere Engineer // Heart-to-Heart Talk (ROL-013) + Violet, Atomic Automaton // Violet, Atomic Automaton (ADW-O30)
14. Mariabella, Sincere Engineer // Heart-to-Heart Talk (ROL-013) + Hyde, Solitary Assassin (TUS-068)
15. Excalibur Genesis // Faria, Swordsmaster of Creation (ADW-003) + Shining Heart, Scorching Hero (ADW-026)
16. Atomic Bahamut (ADW-016) + Atomic Turbulence (ADW-020)
17. Castle of Beatrice (TST-078) + Spirit of Decay (GRV-060)
18. Phantasmal Ascendant (DSD-006) + Red Wine and Bread (DSD-008)
19. Isis, Heat of the Sand (GOG-023) + Magic Stone Dance of Chaos (GOG-024)
20. Hanzo, Ninja of the Moon (GOG-050) + Kaguya, God of Cats and the Moon // Order of the Moon (GOG-078)
21. Back to Nature (GRL-039) + Painter Gears (TUS-097)
22. Setting the Stage for Providence (GRL-034) + Child of the Light Moon (NWE-003)
23. Alice, Tales of Creation // Order of Genesis (GRL-067) + Tales of Phantasia (GRL-083)
24. Conclave at Dragon Mountain (GRV-012) + Zhuge Liang, Perfect Strategist (GRV-026)
25. Spirit of Decay (GRV-060) + Asuka (HSD-020) & Asuka, Gravekeeper of Tsukuyomi (NWE-058)
26. Typhon's Antibodies (GRV-066) + Typhon's Blood (GRV-067)
27. Themis, Mechanized God of Law (GRV-064) + Typhon, the Infinite Monster // Order of Infinity (GRV-085)
28. Arena Expansion: Mount Olympus (GRV-073) + Zeus, the First Olympian // Order of the Olympians (GRV-087)
29. Child of the Light Moon (NWE-003) + Child of the Fire Moon (NWE-013)
30. Dragon of Solari (NWE-014) + Chronopawns (NWE-088)
31. Squirrel of Solari (NWE-045) + Reconnaissance Gears (TUS-098)
32. Engineer of Eternal (NWE-063) + Falchion, Solitary Scientist (NWE-066)
The Origin of the Seven Lands (PofA-112)
Sometimes, the purpose of a card changes when we release a certain kind of mechanic set later. “The Origin of the Seven Lands” was designed to work with the Seven Kings of the Land, calling those powerful queens and kings to battle on your side.
But after the release of “Typhon, the Infinite Monster”, its support changed the way “The Origin of the Seven Lands” was played. Using the ability of revealing cards from outside the game combined with the ability of cards like “Dreiwing, Mechanized Wind of Destruction” creates an advantage that every deck has been able to use. This became even better after the release of “Eins” and its support, giving more revealing choices from outside the game to “The Origin of the Seven Lands”. Considering that doing a combination ban with “Dreiwing, Mechanized Wind of Destruction” wouldn’t be enough as “Squirrel of Solari” has the same ability and knowing that “The Origin of the Seven Lands” has too much versatility in one single card thanks to the outside the game support of Typhon and Eins, we have decided that The Origin of the Seven Lands (PofA-112) is banned.
Warhorse (HSD-004, NWE-011)
When we developed Warhorse, we wanted it to fit into the support of “Aristella, the Twin Prince”, as he is the one that has the favour of the Twelve Sacred Knights. Using Charge of the “Fairy Tale King”, we wanted the Fairy Tale decks to have a resonator that could grant swiftness to any other resonator being searched in the deck.
However, “Warhorse” has been used in many other decks, combined with cards like “The Awakening of Fiethsing”, “Daily Research”, “Olivia, Thunder Empress”, “Machina, the Machine Lord”, and other cards that can search in the deck paying 0 or 1 will. The most searched card to play “Warhorse” from the deck has been “Prototype Magi Trooper”, a resonator with total cost 0. Thanks to those two resonators, a board with four or more resonators in turn one paying less than two will is possible, and not every deck can have answers for that board.
As “Warhorse” will become more popular with any card that searches in the deck that we release in further sets, in order to prevent this card to be included in any deck that can search in order to have advantages that cost 0 will, we have decided that Warhorse (HSD-004, NWE-011) is banned.
Forest Meditation (SDVE4-005)
In the past, when this card was released, Wind decks, especially Wind rune decks, were the best decks in New Frontiers. Combined with “Spirit Stone”, “Forest Meditation” let the player to draw three cards paying 0 will, as the Spirit Stones can be banished being rested. This play had few answers, and combined with the [Enter] ability of Hanzo, Chief of the Kouga, this play could be made twice in a single, long game.
Today, Rune decks are not as powerful as they were in the past and there are new answers to this play, like “Evil Elemental Uprising”, “Horn of Sacred Beasts” or the new card of “The Underworld of Secrets”, “Memory of Worlds” (TUS-043). Also, thanks to the [Revolution Order] mechanic and the «Bond» mechanic, the decks that rely on cards that cancel other cards are not as good as they used to be and the older rulers that don’t have [Partner] are not as popular as we want them to be. In order to change this, we have decided that Forest Meditation (SDVE4-005) is no longer banned.
Kaguya, Sealed God of the Moon (DBV-095)
Three years ago, in the last World Grand Prix, “Kaguya, Sealed God of the Moon” was the most popular card of the entire Grand Prix. The ability of cancelling anything, the [Rune] 2 ability of becoming easier to play, and the high-cost high-reward ability of recovering seven magic stones and drawing seven cards forced the inclusion of this card on the banned list.
But this happened when the rune decks were the best decks in New Frontiers. Now, in Wanderer, the rune decks are not as good as they were, and the wind decks that rely on cards that cancel other cards are not as popular as they used to be. We believe that “Kaguya, Sealed God of the Moon”, will help the older rune decks to become more popular, but not as dominant as they were. With this in mind, we have decided that Kaguya, Sealed God of the Moon (DBV-095) is no longer banned.
Gherta, the Tear of Passion (MPR-094) + Ki Lua, Fossil Girl of Melted Ice (TUS-070)
The ability of “Gherta, the Tear of Passion” can remove the ice counters on “Ki Lua, Fossil Girl of Melted Ice”. We know that there is another resonator that removes all ice counters from “Ki Lua”: “Alisaris, Minion of Lapis” (PofA-019), but to do so, uses an [Enter] ability, instead of an activated ability. As we have developed “Ki Lua” to remove ice counters using its support, we have decided to combinate ban these two cards.
Mariabella, Sincere Engineer // Heart-to-Heart Talk (ROL-013) + Hyde, Solitary Assassin (TUS-068)
The ability of “Heart-to-Heart Talk” to reduces the cost of the ability of “Hyde, Solitary Assassin” of putting cards in the <Shinobi> EX Area. As paying 0 will to put cards in the <Shinobi> EX Area is not what we intended when we developed “Hyde, Solitary Assassin”, we have decided to combinate ban them.
Spirit of Decay (GRV-060) + Asuka (HSD-020) & Asuka, Gravekeeper of Tsukuyomi (NWE-058)
We have seen a lot of different graveyard decks using “Asuka, Gravekeeper of Tsukuyomi”, with different strategies to bring resonators from the graveyard to the field.
But every single one of them relies on “Spirit of Decay”, instead of exploring different options. As “Spirit of Decay” has not been played in other decks and we want to see more creativity, we have decided to combinate ban “Spirit of Decay” with both “Asuka” cards.
Child of the Light Moon (NWE-003) + Child of the Fire Moon (NWE-013)
When we released “A New World Emerges…!”, there were five Moonchild rulers: that could be ten different options of «Bond» using rulers with [Partner]. The most popular option has been “Child of the Light Moon” and “Child of the Fire Moon”.
After the release of “The Underworld of Secrets” there are nine different Moonchild rulers, so the options are more than three times higher. As we want players to explore new «Bond» options, we have decided to combinate ban them.