The first season of Wanderer Grand Prixes of 2022 has concluded, and has been a huge success! Over one hundred of players from all over the world have played the Grand Prixes, which makes us really happy, so thank you for playing Force of Will!
Today, as we’re close to begin the Wanderer era, in addition to the update to the banned list we have a new announcement. We hope you like it that much as we do.
Announcement: Combination Banned List
As you might know, there are so many cards in Force of Will that work well one with another. But some of the combinations are too powerful for the game, but not powerful enough to be banned. We announce the Combination Banned List: a list of cards that cannot be played together in the Wanderer format. This is how it works:
“If you have any number of copies of the card X in your Ruler / Main deck / Magic Stone deck / Sideboard / Extra deck / Rune deck / Strangers Deck you can't have any number of copies of the card Y in your Ruler / Main deck / Magic Stone deck / Sideboard / Extra deck / Rune deck / Strangers Deck and vice versa”.
Let’s use an example with Welser, the Progenitor of Magic (EDL-074) and Pricia, Seeker of Friends // Pricia's Big Show (ROL-018). If you want to play Welser, the Progenitor of Magic, you will not be able to have in your Main deck or in your Sideboard the card Pricia, Seeker of Friends // Pricia's Big Show. If you want to play the card Pricia, Seeker of Friends // Pricia's Big Show, you won’t be able to have the card Welser, the Progenitor of Magic as your Ruler or in your Sideboard. But you can play those cards in different decks!
The Combination Banned List will be applied only in the Wanderer format. It will not be applied to New Frontiers. We will update the Combination Banned List every three months from now on. This is how the Combination Banned List look like: (as of May 26th, 2022):
Effective Date: 27/05/2022
Combination Banned List:
1. Whisper from the Abyss (TAT-090) + Typhon, the Infinite Monster // Order of Infinity (GRV-085)
2. Rewriting Laws (TTW-064) + Melfee, Traveling Sorceress (ROL-017)
3. Excalibur, the God's Sword (TTW-097) + Ayu, Multidimensional Wanderer (GRL-006)
4. Laurite, Seven Luminaries Astrologian (TSW-094) + Persephone, the Eleventh Olympian (GRV-082)
5. Null Magic Stone (TSW-149) + Zhuge Liang, Perfect Strategist (GRV-026)
6. Faerur's Spell (ACN-096) + Setting the Stage for Providence (GRL-034)
7. Mikage Reiya (AO3-046) + The Final Stance (POFA-111)
8. Wind Servant of Ragnarok (EDL-076) + Ragnarok, Invading Dragon Lord (EDL-096)
9. Welser, the Progenitor of Magic (EDL-074) + Pricia, Seeker of Friends // Pricia's Big Show (ROL-018)
10. Almerius // Almerius (MSW-002) + Moojdart // Moojdart (MSW-042)
11. Milest // Milest (MSW-026) + Grusbalesta // Grusbalesta (MSW-073)
12. Moojdart // Moojdart (MSW-042) + Milest // Milest (MSW-026)
13. Mariabella, Sincere Engineer // Heart-to-Heart Talk (ROL-013) + Violet, Atomic Automaton // Violet, Atomic Automaton (ADW-O30)
14. Excalibur Genesis // Faria, Swordsmaster of Creation (ADW-003) + Shining Heart, Scorching Hero (ADW-026)
15. Atomic Bahamut (ADW-016) + Atomic Turbulence (ADW-020)
16. Astema // Astema (TST-067) + Belial // Belial (TST-073)
17. Castle of Beatrice (TST-078) + Spirit of Decay (GRV-060)
18. Phantasmal Ascendant (DSD-006) + Red Wine and Bread (DSD-008)
19. Isis, Heat of the Sand (GOG-023) + Magic Stone Dance of Chaos (GOG-024)
20. Hanzo, Ninja of the Moon (GOG-050) + Kaguya, God of Cats and the Moon // Order of the Moon (GOG-078)
21. Alice, Tales of Creation // Order of Genesis (GRL-067) + Tales of Phantasia (GRL-083)
22. Guinevere, Space-Time Watcher (GRL-030) + Unity of the Machine Knights (GRL-038)
23. Echidna, Mechanized Monster (GRV-051) + Typhon’s Waver of Terror (GRV-070)
24. Themis, Mechanized God of Law (GRV-064) + Typhon, the Infinite Monster // Order of Infinity (GRV-085)
Update to the Banned List
Even with the new Combination Banned List, there are cards that are that powerful on their own that exceed the restrictions of the Combination Banned List. With this in mind, we will continue to update the Banned List every three months as we have been doing. These are the new adjustements to the Wanderer banned list!
Effective Date: 27/05/2022
· Magical Dragon (EDL-064)
· Vergilius, Rebel Against Satan (TST-063)
· Sudden Manifestation of Power (GOG-031)
This is how the updated Wanderer banned list look like: (as of May 26th, 2022):
1) Change the World, Orb of Illusion (TTW-006)
2) Interdimensional Vessel, Apollo (TMS-094)
3) Laevateinn, the Demon Sword (TTW-099)
4) Sudden Manifestation of Power (GOG-031)
5) Alecto, Unstoppable Fury (TST-024)
6) Captain Hook, the Pirate (CFC-037, L3 - BB)
7) The Cheshire Cat's Assistance (ENW-049)
8) Umr-at-Tawil (ENW-051)
9) Fiethsing // Fiethsing (MSW-053)
10) Forest Meditation (SDVE4-005)
11) Gretel (CMF-069)
12) Law of Silence (CMF-071, VIN001-054)
13) Lykeion, the Magic Academy (EDL-062)
14) Magical Dragon (EDL-064)
15) Otherworld Dreams (ADK-106)
16) Severing Winds (ENW-063)
17) Speaker of Eternal Night / Scheherazade of the Catastrophic Nights (TWS-109)
18) True Blade of Spirits (ADK-113)
19) Wall of Wind (TMS-064) (WL005)
20) Demonic Dead (ENW-074)
21) Invitation to Purgatory (DBV-079)
22) Sacrificial Altar (AOA-100)
23) Vergilius, Rebel Against SatanAlecto, Unstoppable Fury (TST-063)
24) Athenia, Deity of Harvest and Corruption (DBV-092)
25) Carlina // Carlina (TST-075)
26) Kaguya, Sealed God of the Moon (DBV-095)
27) Sigurd, the Covenant King (AO3-082)
28) The Magic Stone of the Six Sages (MSW-102)
Magical Dragon (EDL-064)
We have been watching closely this card since Lykeion, the Magic Academy (EDL-062) entered the banned list. The ability of decreasing its cost was designed to be used with the ruler Welser, the Progenitor of Magic (EDL-074), but as we saw in the Wanderer Grand Prixes of this season, there are so many cards that make this card cost zero in the first turns of the game, creating an unfair advantage for the player that plays Magical Dragon. As there are more interactions that allow this card to be played before the opponent can react (like using Chant/Rune cards from the Rune Deck or with Dinner Time (GRL-041).), Magical Dragon (EDL-064) is banned.
Vergilius, Rebel Against Satan (TST-063)
As we have said before in this article, there are cards that are that powerful on their own that exceed the restrictions of the Combination Banned List, and Vergilius, Rebel Against Satan is one of them. This resonator has become one of the most played cards of the last year, and not only in Fallen Angel decks. The ability of being played not paying its cost on turn one by making astral one of your rulers has proven to be too powerful: it can create a huge board of two 600/600 Fallen Angel resonator tokens plus him by doing judgment with Belial (TST-073) on turn one. Not even the rule of not being possible of making the Ordered cards astral has stopped Vergilius, Rebel Against Satan to be included in Order decks. With this in mind, Vergilius, Rebel Against Satan (TST-063) is banned.
Sudden Manifestation of Power (GOG-031)
The first fire card to be included in the banned list is, surprisingly, a card that deals 0 damage to the opponent. Instead, this card has become the centerpiece of the combo decks that revolve around Isis, Heat of the Sand (GOG-023) or Welser, the Progenitor of Magic (EDL-074). Even when paired with Milest (MSW-026) and Grusbalesta (MSW-073) this card provides an extra magic stone that remains in the field while drawing a card, all of this using will produced for free.
We have decided to slow down the resonance decks using the Combination Banned List, but as Vergilius, Rebel Against Satan, this card exceeds the restrictions of the Combination Banned List. Sudden Manifestation of Power is the only one card that draws a card of those that do something similar (as Phantasmal Ascendant (DSD-006) or Red Wine and Bread (DSD-008).), pushing it over the limits. This is why Sudden Manifestation of Power (GOG-031) is banned.
Update Date: 25/02/2022
Alecto, Unstoppable Fury (TST-024)
We have been watching closely this card. On New Frontiers, due to the lack of cards to discard and draw for free, this resonator hasn’t been a problem. But in Wanderer, thanks to the larger ammount of cards and using the support of other rulers, a combo deck that plays almost all of the cards without paying their cost has appeared around Alecto, Unstoppable Fury. Even with the new cards that can interrupt the combo momentarily, Alecto can make endless comebacks making that deck unstoppable. And as we don’t want decks like that, as we did with other water resonators with too much power, Alecto, Unstoppable Fury (TST-024) is banned.